What is Top Hat?
Top Hat is a cloud-based teaching tool that leverages student’s devices to increase in-class engagement and real-time feedback. Instructors can engage students in and outside of the classroom with interactive slides, graded questions, customized content, videos, discussions, and polls.
Penn State Top Hat Features
- Take Attendance: Secure attendance technology for accurate recording of class attendance data.
- Polls & Quizzes: Increase student participation during class with the ability to create a variety of interactive content such as polls and quizzes in Top Hat to share seamlessly through Canvas or via a web browser.
- Live Chat & Discussions: The live chat functionality integrated directly into the virtual lecture experience allows students to discuss topics and concepts with their peers, and instructors.
- Labs: Livestream your lab demonstration while launching real-time questions. Check for comprehension after lab meetings with engaging and accessible assignments.
- Integration with Canvas: Instructors can seamlessly synchronize rosters and grades.
- Learning Insights: Keep track of how students are doing in your course.
- Assignments: Create tailored assignments or upload questions for use in your course.
- Low-cost Interactive Textbooks: This feature is available for a discounted student rate.
Features coming soon: Lecture Recordings, Virtual Classroom Streaming, and Slate Course Communications.
To receive Top Hat news, sign up for the Canvas Newsletter!